Beach activities vary and range from physical wide-game type activities, to creative art work, conservation projects and scientific based activities such as investigating and identifying local fauna and flora. Learning opportunities are virtually limitless.
Example of a Beach School session.
- How to be sensible, safe and responsible when using/enjoying the beach.
- Explore the effects that changing seasons and tides have on the coast.
- Understand sea defences, what hard and soft sea defences are.
- Take part in mini beach cleans and discuss why this is important for the environment.
- Explore the natural coastal environment and learn how to protect it.
- Recognise how marine flora and fauna have adapted to survive in their environments and how different weather conditions affect them.
- Question pressures on the marine environment. E.g, marine pollution and overfishing.
- Discover marine protected areas.
- Identify different species and learn more about them.
- Explore and discover coastal habitats.
- Learn survival skills such as shelter building, fire lighting and cooking outdoors.